Messages of well-wishes poured in for Queen Elizabeth on Sunday, after Buckingham Palace announced the 95-year-old monarch had tested positive for COVID-19.
“I’m sure I speak for everyone in wishing Her Majesty The Queen a swift recovery from Covid and a rapid return to vibrant good health,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson wrote on Twitter.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Kanye West Is Objecting To Kim Kardashian’s Divorce Requests
Commons speaker Lindsay Hoyle said on Sunday morning in a tweet, “I’m sorry to learn that Her Majesty The Queen has Covid, and I know the thoughts of us all will be with her over the coming days. I’d like to wish her a speedy recovery and a swift return to good health.”
Leader of the Labour Party, Keir Starmer, tweeted, “On behalf of myself and the whole of @UKLabour, wishing Her Majesty The Queen good health and a speedy recovery.
“Get well soon, Ma’am,” he added.
“Wishing Her Majesty The Queen a quick recovery,” tweeted Health Secretary Sajid Javid.
Nigel Farage, a former British politician and broadcaster, said the infection demonstrated how important the Queen is to the country: “The thoughts of huge numbers of people all over the world will be with the Queen as she tests positive for Covid. At a moment like this, we realize just how important to us she is,” he wrote.
Former British soccer player Gary Lineker, Tweeted “Wish her a speedy and full recovery.”
Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London wrote on Twitter. “The commitment Her Majesty the Queen has shown to our country continues to be unwavering. Wishing her a swift and safe recovery from Covid-19.”
Aside from British figures and politicians, other citizens expressed similar sentiments, hailing the Queen.
“She’s an icon, she’s an icon of the UK: she is an epitome of the UK in some ways, most people in the country have never known any monarch other than her,” said Steven Stepanian, who works as a consultant in London.
Shashi Vandrevala, a 72-year-old retiree, told the outlet, “She has to get better, we can’t afford to lose her yet.”
Buckingham Palace announced in a statement early Sunday, that Queen Elizabeth is experiencing “mild cold-like symptoms” and will continue with “light duties” over the next week.
It added, “She will continue to receive medical attention and will follow all the appropriate guidelines.”
After she made contact with her son days before his COVID-19 diagnosis, the sovereign was closely “monitored” before it was reported she’d return to work following negative tests.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Zendaya, Tom Holland And Hunter Schafer Snapped At Rangers Game
The Queen held virtual media from Windsor Calls with the Estonian and Spanish ambassadors last week, her first official duties since concerns that she may have caught COVID-19 from her son.
The monarch said she was having trouble moving as she met with incoming Defense Services Secretary Maj. Gen. Eldon Millar at Windsor Castle on Wednesday, her first in-person appearance since Prince Andrew settled a multimillion-dollar sexual assault lawsuit.